EducationB.Sc., 1996, Physics, Zhongnan University of Technology
M.Sc., 2001, Medical Physics, McMaster University
PhD, 2005, Medical Physics, McMaster University
PostDoc, 2009, Nuclear Instrumentation/Environmental Health/Epidemiology, Harvard University
Research: Medical Physics, Health Physics, Radiation Sciences, Environmental Health
- Development of new biomarkers for metal exposure assessment; human body composition
X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) technology for in vivo quantification of elements in human body; Neutron activation analysis (NAA) technology for in vivo quantifications of elements in human body; Associated particle neutron imaging technology for early diagnose of critical diseases; etc.
- Bone microdosimetry for alpha and beta particles
- Exposure to heavy metals and helath outcomes for children and adults
- Biology effects of low-dose radiation and low-dose heavy metal exposures
- Radiation shielding and dose calculation software development
MAJOR RESEARCH INTERESTS:
- The application of nuclear physics in environmental health. Instrumentation and methods development for the in vivo measurement of lead, cadmium, arsenic, mercury, and other metals. Systems and methodology for tracing environmental sources of metals and other pollutants.
- The application of nuclear physics in medicine. Study of radiation transport and dose distributions in biologic tissue and material. Basic research in radiotherapy and nuclear medicine.
- Radiation protection. Radiation dosimetry and microdosimetry. Development of compartmental and bio-kinetic models to assess radiation dose to radionuclide therapy patients, radiation workers, and the general population.
- Radiobiology and toxicology. Investigation of low-dose radiation effects and low-dose metal toxicity at the cellular and DNA level. Effect of radiation and toxic chemical on various end points such as cell survival, DNA damage, and gene expressions.
- General nuclear physics applications in other fields.
Applied Health Physics, HSCI534
Radiation Instrumentation Laboratory, HSCI514
Radiological Emergency Management, HSCI390
Yingzi Liu; Aaron Specht; Patrick Byrne; Gopal Subedi
James T Dant; Steven L Sanchez
Dant JT, Richardson R, Nie LH, Monte Carlo Simulation of Age-dependent Radiation Dose from Alpha- and Beta-emitting Radionuclides to Critical Trabecular Bone and Bone Marrow Targets, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 58(2013)3301-3319
Koltick D and Nie LH, Associated Particle Neutron Imaging for Elemental Imaging in Medical Diagnostics, IEEE Nuclear Transactions, 60(2013)824-829
Grashow R, Miller MW, McKinney A, Nie LH, Sparrow D, Hu H, Weisskopf MG, Lead Exposure and Fear-potentiated Startle in the VA Normative Aging Study: A Pilot Study of a Novel Physiological Approach to Investigating Neurotoxicant Effects, Neurotoxicology and Teratology, 38(2013)21-28
Nie LH, Wright RO, Bellinger D, Hussain J, Amarasiriwardena C, Chettle DR, Pejovic-Milic A, Woolf A, Shannon M. Blood Lead Levels and CBLI as Predictors of Late Neurodevelopment in Lead Poisoned Children, Biomarkers, 16(2011)517-524
Eum KD, Nie LH, Schwartz J, Vokonas PS, Sparrow D, Hu H, Weisskopf MG. Prospective Cohort Study of Lead Exposure and Electrocardiographic Conduction Disturbances in the Department of Veterans Affairs Normative Aging Study. Environmental Health Perspect, 119(2011)940-944
Nie LH, Sanchez S, Grodzins L, Cleveland R, Weisskopf MG. In Vivo Quantification of Lead in Bone with a Portable XRF System - Methodology and Feasibility, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 56(2011)N39-51 All publications for Huiling (Linda) Nie (an Adobe Acrobat file)
Nie H, Sanchez B, Elissa Wilker, Marc Weisskopf, Joel Schwartz, Hu H. Bone Lead and Endogenous Exposure among an Environmentally Exposed Elderly Population: the Normative Aging Study, Journal of Occupational and Environmental Medicine, 51(2009)848-857, 2009
Weisskopf MG, Jain N, Nie H, Sparrow D, Vokonas P, Schwartz J, Hu H. A Prospective Study of Bone Lead Concentration and Death from All Causes, Cardiovascular Disease, and Cancer in the VA Normative Aging Study. Circulation, 120(2009)1056-1064
Nie H, Richardson RB. Radiation Dose and Absorbed Fractions to Marrow Stem Cells from 3H, 14C, and Selected alpha-emitters Incorporated in Bone Remodeling Compartment. Physics in Medicine and Biology, 54(2009)963-979
Nie H, Hu H, Chettle DR. Application and Methodology of in-vivo K X-ray Fluorescence of Pb in Bone, X-ray Spectrometry, 37(2008)69-75
Nie H, Chettle DR, Luo LQ, O'Meara JM. Dosimetry Study for a New in-vivo X-ray Fluorescence (XRF) Bone Lead Measurement System, Nuclear Instruments and Methods in Physics Research B, 263(2007)225-230
Richardson RB, Nie H, Chettle DR. Monte Carlo Simulations of Trabecular Bone Remodelling and Absorbed Dose Coefficients for Tritium and Carbon-14, Radiation Protection Dosimetry, 127(2007)158-162
Nie H, Chettle DR, Luo LQ, O'Meara JM. In-vivo Investigation of a New 109Cd gamma-ray Induced K-XRF Bone Lead Measurement System, Physics in Medicine and Biology, 51(2006)351-360
Nie H, Chettle DR, Webber CE, Brito JAA, O'Meara JM, McNeill FE. The Study of Age Influence on Human Bone Lead Metabolism by Using a Simplified Model and X-ray Fluorescence Data, The Journal of Environmental Monitoring 7(2005)1069-1073
Nie H, Chettle DR, McNeill FE, O'Meara JM. An Investigation of 109Cd Induced K-XRF Lead Measurement Calibration, Physics in Medicine and Biology 49 (2004) N325-334
This record was last updated on Jul 23, 2013 at 1:16 PM